MLS Laser Therapy for Plantar Fasciitis, Achilles Tendonitis or Arthritic conditions
Multiwave Locked System (MLS) Laser Therapy
This laser treatment provides a proven way to manage both chronic and acute pain caused by musculoskeletal disorders and injuries as well as joint pain. The laser delivers pulsed and continuous wavelengths of 808nm and 905nm to the affected tissues to reduce pain and inflammation and promote healing.
Specifically the four main indications are:
- Reducing muscle spasm and pain
- Reducing tissue oedema/swelling
- Decreases inflammation by reducing inflammatory cells and reducing tissue damage
- Encourages wound healing – soft tissue repair occurs faster and stronger
How does MLS work?
Laser therapy uses light to stimulate and accelerate the body’s natural healing processes. The laser beam is moved over the skin so that the light energy (photons) penetrates the tissue where it interacts with various molecules that cause different biological effects. This reduces pain in the area and speeds recovery of damaged cells. MLS uses 808nm and 905nm energised light in both pulsed and continuous emission. This produces an efficient and synergistic effect to the deep tissues.
Light energy helps heal injuries and decrease pain by:
- Stimulating cells to remove toxins
- Allowing oxygen and food loads into the cell
- Blocking pain signals in the brain and releasing endorphins and encephalin (natural painkillers)
- Increasing the production and growth of cells, bringing blood flow into the area and accelerating the healing process
- Jumpstarting the body’s own healing process by stimulating the mitochondria in the cells
As such the laser can be used on a wide range of conditions including:
- Back pain
- Joint pain
- Plantar fasciitis
What to expect?
Your Podiatrist or Physiotherapist will see you in a Musculoskeletal Appointment – this is around 45 minutes and allows time to discuss your symptoms and make an assessment. There is little point treating the symptoms of a condition without a diagnosis and treatment plan designed to correct or support it. If there is foot pain and arthritis or inflammation or tissue damage (for example with plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis or arch strain) the laser tends to be used immediately to start the process and during the treatment a plan is discussed with further investigations as the pain resolves – this may include orthoses, exercise, RICE, footwear adaptations, taping and changes to exercise regime. In some cases we may refer for imaging if the pain is not resolving or there is deeper damage evident.
The treatment is broken into three stages
- Scan phase – moving the laser over the surrounding area and muscles since they are often also affected in their function and allows blood flow to the area to increase prior to treatment of the affected area [4-10 mins].
- Pathology phase – treatment to the affected area – this may involve keeping the laser still over several points or moving the laser around the affected area [8-14 mins].
- Trigger point treatments – the muscles often form knots and these trigger points can cause tension in other areas. These are released using the laser on these points [30 seconds per trigger point].
Cost & Treatment Frequency
We will discuss the appropriate treatment duration and frequency specific to your situation. Typically an intense burst of treatment is suggested that tapers off as the pain and inflammation is reduced and healing takes place. A 3/2/1 or 2/2/2 protocol is suggested with three treatments in the first week, two in the next and one in the third week.
We have given some treatment scenarios as a guide but as a practice we treat patients individually so do not create a package in advance. At your appointment a treatment plan specific to your needs and schedule and requirements will be agreed.
We charge for each laser treatment individually rather than charge it as a package since some patients need more or less treatment. The minimum number of treatments is three.
- Initial appointment and assessment £90 – laser may or may not be carried out in this appointment depending on the time to assess and diagnose and agree a treatment plan and size of area to be treated.
- One area (£40) – eg foot for plantar fasciitis or achilles tendonitis
- Two areas (£50) – both feet or a knee problem, neck
- Three areas (£65) – larger leg problems or back
- Four areas (£80) areas – neck and back
- We are usually able use two diode heads during treatment – this will result in faster treatment times since two areas can be treated simultaneously. Treatment areas are the price factor not the treatment time We have invested in dual treatment heads to carry out treatment more efficiently and we do not charge on the time taken to treat.
For example a series of 6 short sessions for plantar fasciitis or achilles tendonitis could cost £225 including the initial appointment and 6 MLS laser treatments. (If gel heel cups or orthotics/foot supports were advised these cost extra – typically £16 for gel heel cups and £75 for customised preformed orthoses and from £400 for custom made casted orthoses). We find a foot support or orthotic is necessary in most cases. Though we rarely use customised and find the preformed styles effective and cost efficient.
For arthritic joints – osteoarthritis – treatments are spaced over four weeks 3/2/2/1 treatments or 2/2/2/2 are used. Typically by the fourth appointment there is an improvement felt but in these cases the full 6-8 treatments are used to ensure maximum healing and reduction of inflammation. Top up treatments can be used as needed.
For severe ankle sprains daily treatment for the first two weeks is used and then reduced 5/5/3/2.
We may interchange some appointments with Naomi Burns our physiotherapist for acupuncture, exercise and stretching provision as well as MLS laser, ultrasound, massage or taping.
- Initial appointment and assessment £90 – depending on the underlying reasons for your foot problems we may advise that a full physiotherapy assessment and treatment is required. Alternatively a follow on appointment as below may be sufficient.
- 30 mins (£60) – follow on appointment with MLS laser or acupuncture
- 45 mins (£90) – follow on appointment, exercise provision, MLS laser and/or acupuncture etc
- These prices for combination physiotherapy based treatments above are approximate and would be confirmed at the time.
When will I feel better?
You may feel improvement to your condition after 1 to 3 treatments. Many patients report feeling immediate relief after their first treatment! The effects of the treatments are cumulative, so you should expect to see improvements as you proceed through the treatment plan. We will discuss the progress at each appointment and adjust the laser treatment accordingly.
For more chronic conditions, it may take up to 6 visits to feel the benefits of laser therapy. Once you begin treatment, it is important to complete the course of treatment or symptoms are likely to re-occur.
Who carries out the treatment?
Initially your treatment is carried out by the Podiatrist or Physiotherapist. Once a treatment protocol has been established and due to the multi-diode treatment head and requirement for regular treatment, in some cases our Practice Manager will use/reposition the laser as instructed by the Podiatrist who will oversee the treatment. This enables greater flexibility with appointment times and therefore optimal results.
What patients have said
“Just to give you some feedback re the MLS Laser Therapy. I had no pain at all since the last treatment.
My feet are great, and while walking around Whipsnade Zoo last week, my wife said that she has noticed that I am walking much better!!! Many thanks
“I was sceptical after the second treatment that this seemingly simple treatment would work but my husband said to continue. I’m thrilled to say that following my fourth treatment on Wednesday that by Friday evening I noticed that my foot pain wasn’t there anymore and hasn’t returned since! Many thanks Lisa”
“I had a lot of burning and itching in my toes from my chilblains and the day after the laser treatment this was no longer sore, see you tomorrow for my next treatment. Karen”
You can use the online booking link here to book the 45 minute foot pain appointment.
If you have received a diagnosis and treatment plan and feel able to come in straight into MLS treatment then a half hour appointment could be suitable and easier to be seen sooner.
If you need rapid treatment and have a referral then please call or email us directly and we could book you straight in with Lindsay but for this you would need to bring a letter from your practitioner outlining the diagnosis and plan.
A registration form and health and symptom questionnaire will be emailed to you prior to your assessment to take an overview of your symptoms.