MLS Laser Therapy for plantar fasciitis and other inflammatory conditions
Multiwave Locked System (MLS) Laser Therapy
This laser treatment provides a proven way to manage both chronic and acute pain caused by musculoskeletal disorders and injuries as well as joint pain. The laser delivers pulsed and continuous wavelengths of 808nm and 905nm to the affected tissues to reduce pain and inflammation and promote healing.
Specifically the four main indications are:
- Reducing muscle spasm and pain
- Reducing tissue oedema/swelling
- Decreases inflammation by reducing inflammatory cells and reducing tissue damage
- Encourages wound healing – soft tissue repair occurs faster and stronger
As such the laser can be used on a wide range of conditions including:
- Back pain
- Cervical brachialgia
- Craniofacial pain
- Joint pain
- Plantar fasciitis
The laser has a deep penetration ability and has a string 25W power achieved by the pulsed emission. This allows for a greater and faster response and in our clinic patients are seeing a reduction of symptoms from the first session.
What to expect?
Your Podiatrist will see you in a Musculoskeletal Appointment – this is around 45 minutes and allows time to discuss your symptoms and make an assessment. There is little point treating the symptoms of a condition without a diagnosis and treatment plan designed to correct or support it. If there is foot pain and arthritis or inflammation or tissue damage (for example with plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis or arch strain) the laser tends to be used immediately to start the process and during the treatment a plan is discussed – this may include orthoses, exercise, RICE, footwear adaptations, taping and changes to exercise regime.
The treatment is broken into three stages
- Scan phase – moving the laser over the surrounding area and muscles since they are often also affected in their function and allows blood flow to the area to increase prior to treatment of the affected area [4-10 mins].
- Pathology phase – treatment to the affected area – this may involve keeping the laser still over several points or moving the laser around the affected area [8-14 mins].
- Trigger point treatments – the muscles often form knots and these trigger points can cause tension in other areas. These are released using the laser on these points [60 seconds per trigger point].
Cost & Treatment Frequency
Your Podiatrist will discuss the appropriate treatment duration and frequency specific to your situation. Typically an intense burst of treatment is suggested that tapers off as the pain and inflammation is reduced and healing takes place. A 3/2/1 or 2/2/2 protocol is suggested with three treatments in the first week, two in the next and one in the third week.
We charge for each laser treatment individually rather than charge it as a package
- Initial appointment and assessment £75 – laser may or may not be carried out in this appointment depending on the time to assess and diagnose and agree a treatment plan and size of area to be treated.
- 15 mins (£30) – one foot for plantar fasciitis or achilles tendonitis
- 30 mins (£40) – both feet or a knee problem, neck
- 45 mins (£60) – larger leg problems or back or back and neck
For example a series of 6 short sessions for plantar fasciitis or achilles tendonitis would cost £225 including the initial appointment and 6 MLS laser treatments. (If gel heel cups or orthotics/foot supports were advised these cost extra – typically £14 for gel heel cups and £65 for customised preformed orthoses and from £220 for custom made casted orthoses). We find a foot orthotic is necessary in most cases.
We may interchange some appointments with Naomi Burns our physiotherapist for acupuncture, exercise and stretching provision as well as MLS laser, ultrasound, massage or taping.
- Initial appointment and assessment £75 – depending on the underlying reasons for your foot problems we may advise that a full physiotherapy assessment and treatment is required. Alternatively a follow on appointment as below may be sufficient.
- 30 mins (£50) – follow on appointment with MLS laser or acupuncture
- 45 mins (£60) – follow on appointment, exercise provision, MLS laser and/or acupuncture etc
What to expect after the treatment
The majority of patients experience improvement after the first two treatments and it is not unusual to find some relief after the first appointment. Acute problems (1-3 weeks onset) tend to resolve faster than chronic problems which may also require periodic top up to prevent regression. The effect of the MLS laser is cumulative and therefore especially if improvement is seen, the treatments should continue to the end to ensure maximal healing and strength of the tissues.
You can use the box below to book an appointment.
A questionnaire will be emailed to you prior to your assessment to take a brief overview of your symptoms.